Table of contents
Application for Admission
In order to obtain permission to write your Master’s thesis, you
- must have completed all the modules of your MPMD study programme (90 credits*). (N.B.: you can get the approval only after all grades are entered in the LSF)
- submit an official application [PDF] to write your Master’s thesis to the MPMD Administration via Email to service-MPMD@htw-berlin.de at least four weeks prior to the end of the third semester.
The first and second supervisors for your final thesis must sign the application. If the first supervisor is unable to sign the application, send an email requesting his or her written agreement to su-pervise your thesis. Print out the email of agreement and attach this to your application.
Topic and supervisors
In the application you propose a thesis topic and name both supervisors
The Master's thesis shall cover a topic from professional practice or a freely chosen topic. Any student should discuss the topic and the structure of the thesis as early as possible with two supervisors.
The topic shall be chosen in a manner so that it is possible to successfully cover it within the given time frame. The topic of a Master’s thesis can only be changed once and only within the first six weeks of the writing period.
The first supervisor must be a professor at the HTW. The second supervisor must have successfully completed a master’s degree programme (not necessarily at the HTW) or an equivalent degree. If so, a copy of the degree shall be provided by the second supervisor.
The Master's thesis may be completed as a group thesis by two persons (maximum) subject to the agreement of the supervisor and the suitability of the topic. For group submissions, the contributions of each student must be definable and subject to individual assessment. Should one team member drop out or is granted an extension, this shall not affect the other member, which shall remain responsible for his/her part.
However, based on the administrations experience it is not recommended to write in a team.
You will get an official admission approval by the end of the programme semester. This will normally be March 31th or September 30th at the latest. The Admission will be send to you via email. Personal attendance is not required.
The approval will state
- who will serve on the examination panel — comprising the first and second supervisor
- the title of your final thesis
- when the period of time for writing your thesis will start and finish
A non-disclosure agreement with a company, in which a Master’s thesis is written, is commonly signed, when confidential information from a company is included in the Master’s thesis, which should not become public.
A non-disclosure agreement needs to be signed by the first and second supervisor and the student before the period of time of writing of the thesis starts.
If a non-disclosure agreement exists, the Master’s thesis will not be published by the University library, as it usually would.
Writing period and formal requirements
The writing period will start in the first week of April, if you write your thesis during a summer semester, or the first week of October, if you write your thesis during a winter semester.
The time to write your thesis will be 18 weeks!
Before you start writing, download the MPMD thesis template from the MPMD Moodle course.
Please keep in mind the formal requirements to write a thesis. To make sure your thesis meets all the requirements please use the checklist (PDF) provided in the MPMD Moodle course.
The Master's thesis should encompass at least 60 pages of main text (excluding(!) appendices). There is no official limit as to the maixmum number of pages, but we recommend not to exceed about 100 pages of text.
To organize your citations we recommend the software Citavi:
If requested for the purposes of disadvantage compensation for disability or any other reason, the examination board may define a longer completion period. To apply for an extension for writing your final thesis, submit the following documents to the examination board:
- An application for extension of the completion time [PDF].
- If you are pregnant, a copy of your maternity record (Mutterpass) with the expected date of birth. The deadline is extended by the period of statutory maternity leave.
- In the event of illness, a medical certificate from a doctor or medical officer must be presented with a precise description of the reason why you are currently unable to write your thesis and the duration of your medical condition. The medical certificate must be presented within three working days. A certificate of incapacity for work is not sufficient.
Handing in your Master's thesis
- You need to submit three hard copies of your thesis. The copies must be bound (no spiral binding) and handed in at the MPMD office on the date of submission during the office hours, latest.
- In addition, the thesis must be submitted to the MPMD administration in form of a PDF file via mail to service-MPMD@htw-berlin.de on the date of submission, latest.
A written testimony which states that your thesis has been completed independently and that no sources or aids other than those acknowledged have been utilised must be submitted as part of the examination file and as one extra sheet - each dated and with your original signature (no copies!).
PLEASE NOTE: Every thesis will be carefully and thoroughly reviewed by professionals and checked for plagiarism by our automatic scanning software. Violations of the German academic standards may lead to deduction of points, failure of the thesis or even de-registration.
The oral defence of the final thesis will take place within three months after the thesis has been submitted, if
- final thesis has been successfully completed and
- all required modules have been successfully completed.
The main focus of the final oral examination is the Master's thesis topic. The topic is hereby brought into connection with the taught content of the Project Management and Data Science Master's programme. The final oral examination should establish
- whether the student can independently verify the methodological procedures and the outcomes of the Master's thesis
- possesses secure knowledge of the field addressed by the Master's thesis
- and has mastered requisite presentation and communication skills.
One aspect of the thesis defence is a presentation of approx. 15 minutes during which the student offers a summary of the thesis' main points. The overall duration of the thesis defence is between 45 and 60 minutes.
Repeating your Master’s thesis
Your thesis will be graded with a "fail" (grade 5.0) if
- you fail to submit your thesis to the examination board on time,
- your notification of inability to take an examination is not recognised or
- you deliver work of inadequate content.
You can have a free attempt (Freiversuch) if
- this was your first attempt at writing your final thesis or final oral examination,
- the final thesis or final oral examination was conducted within the regular period of study,
- all necessary modules have been completed by then and you have a preliminary grade,
- your first attempt at the final thesis or final oral examination was graded with "fail" (5.0).
If you have used your free attempt, you can repeat your final thesis.
The Examinations Office will send you a request to submit a topic proposal for repeat theses. You will be granted admission by the examination board.
- Do I have to pay 4,000 Euro if I write my thesis in the 5th semester?
No, you don’t have to pay tuition fee for the 5th semester (only the semester fee).
However, if you study / write your Master’s thesis in the 6th semester or even later, you will have to pay 4,000 EUR plus the semester fee for each additional semester.