Online Master's in Project Management & Data Science
Top employers need project managers who can successfully manage complex, high-level, data-driven projects in an international work environment. The online International Master’s in Project Management and Data Science (eMPMD) prepares you with academic knowledge, real-world experience and industry connections.
Advance your international career
Manage international projects and extensive datasets with confidence. In this two-year, part-time, English-taught programme, you’ll learn online from professors with impressive backgrounds in industry and collaborate with peers from 16+ countries.
Impress your future employers. During this programme, you’ll advance from a foundational understanding of international project management and data analytics to the level of advanced, hands-on expertise in both fields. The curriculum is completed by courses in:
- Data analysis and statistical programming
- International project management
- Data mining, databases and Big Data
- International business law and data governance
- Change management and leadership
- Cross-cultural negotiation and group facilitation
Master of Science (MSc)
|Key aspects|| |
Duration and start
4 semesters (2 years, part-time), start every winter semester
English (no German required)
Location and format
| Fully online |
|Tuition and fees|| |
Tuition: €16,000 for the degree (paid in 4 instalments of €4,000 per semester)
Fees: approximately €56 per semesterWhile there are no scholarships available from HTW Berlin, you can check the DAAD website for possible scholarships.
Accreditation by the University Board, based on the criteria of the "Agency for Accreditation and Quality Assurance" (AQAS). Conforms to the "Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education" (ESG). Accreditation will be completed in September 2021.
Your instructors have rich industry experience at top corporations worldwide, in addition to their impressive academic qualifications. They know what employers are looking for and collaborate with top companies on delivering your programme.
Your programme is delivered fully online, with modules taught as a mix of real-time lectures, interactive seminars and labs, and on-demand learning components. All modules take a practice-oriented academic approach, geared towards market demands. Methods include:
- Real-time lectures and labs with your professors and fellow students via video conference, giving you access to the knowledge and personal feedback of the same world-class academics who teach on-campus at HTW Berlin
- Self-paced online learning with videos, readings, exercises and opportunities to self-assess your learning progress
- Case studies, collaborative projects with peers, workshops and real business scenarios in which you will directly apply your new knowledge
- Option to write your master's thesis in collaboration with a company
We designed the MPMD programme in consultation with major German companies to make sure you’re prepared to enter a wide range of industries.
Companies employing MPMD graduates
Mercedes-Benz.io, Deutsche Bank, Samsung Electronics, HelloFresh, TomTom, Zalando, ETL (Accenture), Schaeffler AG, Schneider Electric, DECATHLON Germany, AUTO1 Group, Publicis Emil, TIER Mobility, Konica Minolta Business Solutions Europe GmbH, meetyoo conferencing GmbH, NHS England, Solarisbank AG, wefox Group, DATANOMIQ GmbH, Blue Yonder, BWI GmbH, Qreuz GmbH, Supper & Supper GmbH, umlaut GmbH, DAF Holding, TD Reply, EMnify, Workpath, idealo internet GmbH
Areas in which MPMD graduates work
- Data analysis
- Business intelligence
- Project management
Potential fields of employment for eMPMD graduates
High quality & interactive online study
In the eMPMD programme, you learn from the same expert instructors and earn the same high-quality degree as you would in an on-campus programme at HTW Berlin. You have the added flexibility of learning from anywhere in the world in a way that accommodates your schedule and life.
- Live virtual classrooms, labs and seminars
- Real-time chats with lecturers
- Collaborative project platforms with peers
- Live, online company tours
- Project work with companies
- On-demand video learning
Online networking with companies
In addition to connecting with guest lecturers and participating in company visits virtually, you can choose to do your master’s thesis in collaboration with a company. This gives you the opportunity to tackle a real problem a company is facing, using their data for your analysis.
A company representative will act as a second supervisor for your thesis, in coordination with your academic supervisor. They will both support and guide you online during your work.
Additional networking opportunities can arise during case studies, which can be provided by companies. Some modules also encourage you to take on a real-world project or problem a company is facing.
Balancing of studies & career
Since your eMPMD programme is part-time, it is reasonable to work during your studies. The eMPMD has real-time and on-demand components, which add up to about 20-25 hours per week during lecture periods:
- Welcome week: In the first week of semester one, you will have live (synchronous) online activities for five full days. You’ll meet your peers, staff and instructors, be introduced to studying at HTW Berlin and the eMPMD programme, and have introductory classes with your professors.
- Lecture period: During regular lecture periods, which last about 18 weeks per semester, you will typically have live (synchronous) online classes two days per week: three hours on Fridays and three to six hours on Saturdays.
- Additionally, there will be about five hours per week of self-study material.
- Depending on your previous knowledge, you should allow an additional 10 hours per week for preparation and follow-up work from class, groups, seminars and projects, and study time for exams.
- Master’s thesis: In the fourth semester you will write your master’s thesis, accompanied by the live (synchronous) master seminar of 9 teaching units. The writing period is 18 weeks.
Doctoral studies (PhD)
Successful master students are also qualified for doctoral studies (PhD) at other universities and embark on careers in international research.
Services & support
Your professors will provide you with direct feedback on your work to help you develop as a professional. You may also contact your professors by email at any time. Additionally, your programme manager and assistant programme manager can assist you with organisational, academic and career questions.
Student experience online
In addition to the class discussions and collaborative projects you’ll undertake with your peers, we’ve created an online introductory week so that you can get to know everyone. You’ll meet your peers, staff and instructors and learn how to use the various technologies.
We also organise social events on a regular basis, such as:
- Virtual lunch/dinner get-togethers
- Alumni video chats
- Escape room and other fun events
Guidance throughout your programme
The dedicated eMPMD Team in the programme office – Annett Debarry and Julia Friske – will support you from application to graduation. We also organise the MPMD special events! :)
- Welcome events
- Buddy programme
- Events and activities
- Visa assistance
- Cultural and linguistic preparation
Full university services
You also have full access to the resources of HTW Berlin, including: